The purpose of Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety (KDPS) Training Division is to present a comprehensive inter-departmental network of professional, ethical and accurate training in order to maintain and enhance the knowledge and performance of the personnel working with Kalamazoo Public Safety. The Training Division also provides training services and safety education programs to both citizens and visitors to the City of Kalamazoo.
Our mission is to provide ethical training and instruction that is mandated by law, required by departmental policy, or needed by individuals to maximize their potential to provide fire, police and emergency medical services and to promote safety in the community we serve.
- Promote ethical and courteous behavior as an integral component in all of the training presented
- Promote a training environment that enhances professional performance of duty
- Promote an appreciation for the diversity of our organization and the community we serve in all of our police, fire, and medical services
- Maintain a data bank that will provide our colleagues with information to be utilized in life rescue and fire suppression
- Promote fire safety through inspections, presentations, and disbursement of smoke detectors to citizens of the community
Primary areas of Division responsibility include the following:
- Identify, develop, and deliver in-service refresher training
- Conduct State mandated Fire Academy training for new employees
- Enroll and supervise employees in MCOLES mandated police certification training
- Conduct Advanced Police Orientation training for new employees
- Provide on-going firearms training for department personnel
- Manage and maintain the department’s firearms training facility
- Coordinate employee off-site training and arrange on-site trainers
- Coordinate employee specialized training related to job classification
- Administer and coordinate expenditure of State 302 training funds
In-Service Training (Police / Fire / EMS)
The Public Safety Training Division provides, develops or coordinates over 20,000 cumulative hours each year of in-service and outside school training in police, fire, and EMS. This includes initial police, fire and EMS academy training and certification for new officers, as well as continuous education and professional development for the full department across the spectrum of Public Safety. The Training Division also regularly provides or hosts training to outside agencies and other City departments.
Education for Employment
Click here for more information: http://www.kresa.org/site/Default.aspx?PageID=973.