Over the past two years, KDPS has experienced an increase in package theft calls for service during the holiday season. With the increase in online shopping, thousands of packages are delivered to homes throughout the season. Most packages are left unattended for several hours, leaving them vulnerable to being stolen.
Security and doorbell cameras are useful during an investigation but do not always deter the thefts from happening. Kalamazoo Public Safety encourages everyone to review the following suggestions that will help prevent them from becoming a victim of package theft.
• Sign up for delivery alerts/pick up packages immediately.
• Request packages be signed for.
• Request packages be delivered to neighbors or friends that will be home.
• If allowed, have packages delivered to work.
• Instruct the delivery company to place the package somewhere out of open view (behind a plant, seating, false wall, etc.).
• Utilize package delivery lockboxes that are approved by USPS and other delivery companies.
• Utilize ship to store options.
With so many residents ordering gifts and everyday items from online sources, this type of crime can affect everyone. In addition to public education, Kalamazoo Public Safety will be increasing neighborhood patrols and enforcement efforts throughout our communities.
The members of the Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety would like to wish everyone a joyous and safe 2020 holiday season.
By authority of: Sgt. Nathan Garnaat
Date: November 02, 2020
Address: 150 E. Crosstown Pkwy., Suite A, Kalamazoo, MI 49001
Contact: Captain Matt Elzinga, 337-8142