Every year Kalamazoo Public Safety is inundated with calls regarding fireworks and noise violations within the City of Kalamazoo around the Fourth of July holiday. Kalamazoo Public Safety would like to remind citizens of the restrictions regarding fireworks use within the City of Kalamazoo. Fireworks are allowed during the following times:
Tuesday, July 3rd from 8 am to 11:59 pm
Wednesday, July 4th from 8 am to 11:59 pm
Thursday, July 5th from 8 am to 11:59 pm
The use of fireworks is still subject to Kalamazoo City noise ordinances (see attached ordinances). Fireworks are not allowed at any times outside of this period during the holiday.
The Fourth of July holiday is one of the busiest times of year for our police and fire resources. Our officers will continue to respond to emergency and priority calls for service, as well as, patrol for and enforce fireworks ordinances whenever possible throughout the holiday time frame.
To report the use of illegal fireworks in the City of Kalamazoo, please call our non-emergency number at 269-337-8120. We wish everyone a safe and happy 4th of July!
City of Kalamazoo Code of Ordinances:
- 15-30. Consumer fireworks prohibitions.
- A person shall not ignite, discharge or use consumer fireworks except during permitted hours on the day preceding, the day of, or the day after a national holiday.
- No person shall ignite, discharge or use consumer fireworks between the hours of 12 midnight and 8:00 a.m. of the day preceding, the day of, or the day after a national holiday, except that on New Year’s Day no person shall ignite, discharge or use consumer fireworks between the hours of 1:00 a.m. and 8:00 a.m.
- No person shall ignite, discharge or use consumer fireworks on public property, school property, church property or the property of another person without that organization’s or person’s express permission to use consumer fireworks on those premises.
- Consumer fireworks shall not be sold to a minor.
- 15-31. General noise prohibition.
The ignition, discharge or use of consumer fireworks shall be subject to the general prohibition contained at § 21-6 of the Kalamazoo City Code, which addresses continued excessive or unusually loud noise, measured or unmeasured, which disrupts, injures or endangers the comfort, repose, health, peace or safety of any person within the limits of the City.
- 15-32. Penalties.
A person who violates this article is responsible for a municipal civil infraction and may be ordered to pay a civil fine of not more than $500.
By authority of: Lt Danielle Guilds
Date: July 1st, 2018
Address: 150 E. Crosstown Pkwy, Suite A, Kalamazoo, MI 49001
Contact: Captain Matt Huber, Operations Division, 269-337-8142