Kalamazoo, MI: On Tuesday, December 13th, 2016 at approximately 6:43 P.M., Kalamazoo Public Safety officers responded to the 900 block of Mills St. regarding a house fire. Upon arrival officers found active fire in the second floor of the home. The home had been renovated into two separate apartments and all occupants were reported out of the complex. Fire was found in the stairwell up to the 2nd floor apartment, compromising the floor and thus hindering fire crew’s fire attack on the second floor. Fire Crews were able to control the fire after about an hour. The home was heavily damaged and was believed to have been started by an unattended candle in the bedroom on the first floor. No injuries were reported. The Fire Marshal responded to conduct cause and origin investigation and is investigating this incident.
Kalamazoo Public Safety reminds residents to be cautious while using candles and open flames. We remind residents not to leave candles unattended. This fire also spread rapidly when the lone resident failed to notify 911 immediately when smoke detectors and the odor of smoke were detected. Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety urges all residents to contact 911 immediately if an audible smoke detector sounds, followed by the odor of smoke.
Anyone who may have information regarding this investigation is asked to call Kalamazoo Public Safety at 337-8994 or Silent Observer at 343-2100 or www.kalamazoosilentobserver.com.
By authority of: Lt. Sean Gordon
Date: December 13th, 2016
Address: 150 E. Crosstown Parkway, Kalamazoo, MI 49001
Contact: Captain Vernon Coakley, Operations Division, 337-8142