Kalamazoo, MI: On Thursday, December 08, 2016, at approximately 3:39 p.m., Kalamazoo Public Safety officers responded to the 700 block of Wheaton to the report of a house fire. Officers arrived and noticed heavy smoke coming from a second story window.
Everyone was able to safely evacuate the building due to a smoke detector alerting. Officers started fire suppression measures and the fire was extinguished within minutes. An investigation revealed that the fire started due to an improperly exposed lighted candle.
Anyone who may have information regarding this investigation is asked to call Kalamazoo Public Safety at 337-8994 or Silent Observer at 343-2100 or www.kalamazoosilentobserver.com.
By authority of: Lt. Dave Thomas
Date: December 8, 2016
Address: 150 E. Crosstown Parkway, Kalamazoo, MI 49001
Contact: Captain Vernon Coakley, Operations Division, 337-8142